A Partnership between Church Army and the Scottish Episcopal Diocese of Argyll and The Isles
West Highland Region: A Priest in Charge/Ordained Lead Evangelist for the West Highlands Centre of Mission
February 2017: Come and lead this exciting mission-focused project partnership between the Scottish Episcopal Church and Church Army. You will minister in one of the most beautiful places in Scotland, in the Church Army/Diocesan Centre of Mission being established in this area.
This project will build up the life and presence of the church in this area between Oban and Fort William, including Appin and Glencoe. With the existing lay reader and ministry teams and, with the help of a Pioneer Evangelist, you will confidently lead the church communities by supporting and nurturing the existing congregations of the Scottish Episcopal Church across the whole of the area.
Fully supported by the Diocese and Church Army, you will:
- Minister and lead the pastoral and sacramental/worship life of the inherited church communities in the area;
- Establish a Centre of Mission that will grow the inherited Church Community so that their communal life both deepens their faith in Christ and meets the needs of those who do not currently attend Church;
- Create fresh expressions of Church across the West Highland Region;
- Create teams of Christian men and women, from the inherited church, who can actively engage in mission and evangelism;
- Meet the expressed needs of people living in poverty in the Kinlochleven area;
- Ensure that the work of the centre of mission is achieved this through the implementation of Church Army’s “DARE” strategy. DARE has four objectives which underpin this work:
◦Doing evangelism ◦Advocating evangelism ◦Resourcing evangelism ◦Enabling evangelism
You will be an ordained priest in the Anglican Church with a proven track record in team building and evangelism. You will be enthusiastic and energetic with a passion to see people find faith in Christ.
You will have a living and lively relationship with God and Scripture, a strong Christian faith which informs and impacts your day to day living. You will be comfortable and experienced leading a wide range of genres of worship, from Eucharistic-centred liturgy to innovative Fresh Expressions. You will have a pioneering leadership style: “making things happen.” You will be a person that communicates a clear vision, generates innovative ideas, sees the bigger picture and enables others to achieve and develop their skills. You will also be willing to work flexibly across the West Highland Region.
We are looking for a person who:
- sets high standards, personally and for others
- ensures understanding of the context
- is effective at decision making whilst achieving results,
- empowers others through team working and building relationships .
- has interpersonal sensitivity in their interactions with others
Communication skills including language. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate good communication skills, and be able to make effective presentations in a variety of contexts. The ability to communicate in Gaelic would be desirable but not essential.
Above all you will be adaptable, effective in different surroundings (place and time) and with various age groups (children, youth and adults).
Fully supported by the diocese, the right Priest/Ordained Evangelist will help the church work towards a sustainable vision for mission and church growth.
For an informal conversation, please contact the diocesan office who will arrange suitable point of contact.
Closing date: 13th March 2017
Provisional Interview dates: 28th & 29th March 2017, in the west highlands.