Kinlochmoidart – History
The church was built in a beautiful situation on the hillside overlooking Loch Moidart in 1858 by the owner of the Moidart Estate, Robertson MacDonald. The estate passed to the Stewart family in the 1880’s. Later it fell into disuse but in 1965, Major General Stewart had the church made ‘wind and waterproof’ for his daughter’s wedding and it was re-opened for regular services in 1966. The church was designed by the architect Alexander Ross in simple Early English style, and there are two unusual stained glass windows by the Victorian artist Jemima Blackburn.
In 1972, the congregation was joined with the congregation of, the then disused, St Mary’s, Strontian and services continue in both places.