A brief history of Ardbrecknish

St James’ was built as a private Chapel for the Thorpe family in 1892, and in 1934, the Church and Parsonage were transferred by disposition to the Diocese of Argyll & The Isles as a Summer Chaplaincy. In 1967, it became a Cathedral Mission, then in 1974, an Independent Congregation. In 1980, it was made a Dependent Mission of St John’s Cathedral, Oban, and continues in that status today. There is a small but active congregation, most of whom reside on the south side of Loch Awe.

Return